Monday, July 25, 2011

The Daughter's Walk by Jane Kirkpatrick

I love reading historical fiction! However, the part I usually like about it is the fiction side of the book. The majority of this book is based off the actual historical side and not so much of the fiction, so I was a little skeptical about it at first.

This was such an interesting story that I'd never even heard of before that I was immediately enthralled in the whole story - real or not. I generally don't like true stories because there isn't a lot of liberty that can happen. I mean if a person dies before really doing a lot with their lives that's it, you can't really have a happy ending. So in a way, this book does end up having a less than happy ending - in that it is true to life.

Because it is based on a true story though it really has a good grasp on the dynamic of a family. You feel like you are there with Clara (the main character). You are there on the walk with her and her mother. You are there when she is banned from her family. You are there for each step of her "exile." You are there when she reconciles with her family. I really enjoyed reading this book that was so well written weaving the fiction in with the facts.


I received this book for free from the Blogging for Books program through Waterbrook Multnomah Press. I am under no obligation to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment