Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Linen Queen by Patricia Falvey



Where do I even begin? I have to say that this book was extremely challenging for me to get into and even to keep on reading. If I hadn't received this book to specifically review, I probably would have never even bothered completing it.

The book was very slow and written in the voice of the main character, Sheila McGee. Sheila starts out as being very self-absorbed, not caring for anybody but herself. Fortunately as the book goes along, she starts to realize that she is extremely selfish and life is not about her after all.

This book is set during World War I and while there is quite a bit mentioning the war and soldiers coming to their small town, I still didn't get the feeling that it was that important of an event. Part of this could be because it is written from one person's perspective the whole time and since she was self-absorbed it didn't really matter to her what was going on.

I am glad that about 100 to 150 pages in the story did get slightly more interesting and by the end of the book you really did feel that there was quite a bit of character development that had taken place; however, when you figure in the fact that the story spanned about 4 years you'd hope that the character wouldn't be stagnant.

In case you can't tell, I really didn't enjoy this book that much. I'll try to give some positives. The writer writes very well getting you to really feel like you are in a small town in Ireland. She definitely gives you the idea that the character feels trapped and wants to break free and start her own adventure. Other than that the story itself wasn't very compelling. I really didn't appreciate quite a bit of the language in it either.

Overall, I don't think I would recommend this book.

I received this book for free and was under no obligation to give a positive review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment