Friday, March 30, 2012

Every Day a Friday: How to be Happier 7 Days a Week by Joel Osteen


I was so excited to see that I'd be able to review this book when I got an email about it. At the time, I was so stressed with working from home and trying to take care of my child at the same time I felt like this would be a great book for me to read to gain a better perspective on life. When it finally came in the mail I was so excited, I couldn't wait to start reading it but like so many times life got in the way - now months later I was finally able to read this book.

This book had such great potential and a lot of really good points. Much of the book was great! There was so much in the book that was so practical...being content where you are, keeping a positive attitude at all times, finding a reason to laugh every day (for me - that's hanging out with my daughter), giving thanks for what you have. There were so many great thoughts.

I guess my main concern with this book is it seemed that the main message for each chapter was do "a" and God has promised to bless you, do "b" and God will bless you. I have no problem with the fact that God blesses people because I know that many times God is most glorified when true believers praise him and declare how God has blessed them, but I just felt that he really didn't have Scripture to back up what he was saying at times. My other concern was the book seemed to be so focused on how can this help me. Many of the things he kept saying were that God will bless you because you are so wonderful or whatever point he was trying to make, but there seemed to be little in most (not all) chapters that gave any indication that the reason we were made was not to bring glory to ourselves and so that we can live great lives, but so that God will be most glorified.

Sometimes we can be doing everything right and we can be happy and joyful, but we won't always see the blessings here on earth. That I guess was where I felt like this book was a little off. Much of our blessing won't come here on earth, but will come when we reach heaven.

Even though I have some concerns about the book, it really did help to either change my perspective or to reiterate that I'm on the right track. I would still recommend this book to someone who is struggling to believe that God is good and that you can be happy even when times are tough, but I'd probably have to tell them to read it with a grain of salt.

As I wrap this up, I did want to mention that I received this book for free from Faith Words in exchange for an honest review. I was under no obligation to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment