Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Creation as retold by Janice D. Green



I must admit when I first saw the pictures to this book, I found them rather strange and a little creepy. But then I realized that they are taken from a quilt and I thought the idea was interesting and fairly well put together. Before I ever actually picked the book up to read for this review, my now 18 month old daughter saw the book and seemed to really like the pictures. Since this book is written for children and not really for adults, I take that as a good sign that most kids would find the illustrations interesting as well. I did appreciate the uniqueness of the illustrations because I think it would help kids remember what day each thing was created.

As far as the content of the book, it really is just "The Creation" account that is found in Genesis. However, Mrs. Green has paraphrased it to make it easier for kids to understand. At the end of each page there are also some different questions that you can ask the kids. I felt like some of the questions didn't really pertain with that particular page, but they would open up a discussion with the child.

I can't really say that overall I would recommend this book as a purchase even though it is definitely unique. I think this book would probably be enjoyed by some and not by others - not just because it is about Creation (which I wholeheartedly believe in) but even just the way it is illustrated may not be what everybody is looking for.

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review from the BookCrash book review program. I was under no obligation to give it a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment