Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Maid of Fairbourne Hall by Julie Klassen



Having just finished reading "The Maid of Fairbourne Hall" by Julie Klassen, the only thing I can think of is, "I wonder what else she has written, so I can read another great book like this one!" I know that I've heard of Julie Klassen, but I don't recall that I have ever read any of her books. I'm so glad I decided to review this one.

This book starts off with Margaret Macy realizing that her virtue is not safe living with her mother and step-father. Having taken a little bit of money before she leaves, she goes as far as the money will take her and then seeks employment as a housemaid. She only needs to stay hidden until her next birthday when she will receive a large inheritance. Since she has always had her own servants, she has a lot to learn as a housemaid. Because of her new station, she learns many lessons about herself and about not judging people on their appearances. Of course there is a little bit of romance and mystery thrown in the mix to make this a very interesting read throughout the book.

I really enjoyed reading this book. As the review on the back of the book states, "Her writing is comparable to Jane Austen's." I definitely found that the style or at least the time period was very similar, but it was also a very fresh look at that time period as well. I especially enjoyed all the little tidbits at the beginning of each chapter that had quotes from various books or letters from the time period this book was written about. It was all so interesting!

If you are looking for a book that makes you forget your life for awhile and puts you in a period in time that was so different from ours then you've found it.

I did receive this book in exchange for an honest review from Bethany House. I was under no obligation to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment