Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Intentional Parenting by Sissy Goff, David Thomas, and Melissa Trevathan


I've not read that many parenting books even though my child is a little over two. The few I have read, I found so ridiculous and really didn't implement many, if any, of the ideas that I read about in the other books. I've been on a search for a good, godly parenting book - not just one to tell me about the statistics of where my child might end up but one that would give practical advice on how to raise my child (or any other children I might have) in a way that would be pleasing to God. I am so glad that I was able to review this book because I believe I have finally found a good, godly parenting book.

This book is broken up into 12 Chapters with each author writing 4 of the chapters. The chapters in this book include:
  1. Being an Intentional Parent
  2. Being a Patient Parent
  3. Being a Grown-Up Parent
  4. Being a Balanced Parent
  5. Being a Consistent Parent
  6. Being a Playful Parent
  7. Being a Connected Parent
  8. Being an Encouraging Parent
  9. Being a Spiritual Parent
  10. Being a Merciful Parent
  11. Being a Hopeful Parent
  12. Being a Free Parent
Every chapter is full of practical advice. There are thought-provoking questions throughout each chapter that really makes you think and reflect on what you have just read. It is hard to pinpoint one particular chapter being more helpful than another as I found each chapter to have some nugget to take away. I did notice that it mostly seemed geared to parenting older children, though I think this is a helpful book even if you are starting out raising kids (as I am).

I cannot say enough good about this book. Some of the thoughts I'll be taking away from this book are:
  • My child needs me to be the grown-up (taken from Chapter 3)
  • My child needs me to be consistent - no matter what method of discipline...pick one and stick with it. Kids need structure. (taken from Chapter 5)
  • My child needs to see that I need God. I was greatly encouraged by chapter 9 in that I don't have to be a "perfect" parent. My child needs to know that I don't have all of the answers, but that because I'm dependent on God that is who gives me my strength.
  • And because I'm depending and trusting on God to help me through every step of my life (especially in wisdom to parent my child) that gives me a freedom to not sweat the small stuff.
I highly recommend this book and will be keeping this one to read for years to come!!! So helpful and practical!

I received this book for free through the Booksneeze.com program. I was under no obligation to give it a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment