Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Faith and Other Flat Tires by Andrea Palpant Dilley



I could not wait to finish this book. Not because I found it interesting or thought-provoking or helpful or any of these types of reasons, I simply wanted to be finished with this book. I was very interested in reading this book at the time I received an email about it. We were going through our own faith journey at the time (though it is a continual journey - by no means have we finished it), but this particular time was difficult and I was finding it challenging to trust in God. So when I saw this book, I thought it would be insightful and an encouragement to read.

Launch ahead another year (yes, I admit I've had this book for a year now!) and I finally have time to read it because the thing I was going through at the time of requesting this book put me way behind (i.e. moving to another state, starting a new job, getting adjusted to life, etc.) So I finally was able to read this book and it was painful!!!

I think the main thing that you need to keep in mind if you are going to grab this book to read it is that it is mostly "A Memoir" - you can see this on the flat part of the tire in the image, but even though it has such a small part on the cover, it is the bulk of the book.

This book is a memoir about a girl who grew up in a missionary family and then moved back to the States and started having a crisis of faith. She had all sorts of questions about why God would allow bad things to happen to good people? How could He let innocent children suffer? But ultimately this book is just an account of her life - a very dull account of her life.

I'd always thought my life was rather boring until I read this book. Then I realized that while mine is not super exciting at least I wasn't going to write a book about it.

Needless to say, this book is one I'd recommend you pass up. You won't be missing a whole lot. If you are looking for perspective on your life and thinking your life is a little dull and boring, you may want to snatch this one up - only to show you that your life is great!

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. All the thoughts are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment