Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Christian Alphabet Book: Teaching Children about Jesus, Prayer, and the Bible by Tracy Sands

 
I found this an interesting idea for a book. I'm not really sure what I expected it to be like, but I don't think this was it. That isn't to say that for the most part it wasn't a decent book, it just didn't quite meet what I was anticipating.
 
Each letter of the alphabet has been given pictures that make up the letter (and the meaning behind each picture is described at the end of the book in case you wanted to know the reasoning). Each letter is also assigned a word or theme and then has a two page spread explaining that theme. For example..."A" is for Always. This page talks about how God always loves us and is always with us. The page has a question section to get the kids thinking and then a prayer at the bottom to help guide them in praying (I don't think these are meant to be prayers that are memorized, but are for a guide only). The right page always shows the letter with the various pictures represented and has a "Seek and You shall find" section that just adds a little bit more fun to the child to be looking at the pictures. In addition to all of that, there are verses for the children to memorize for each letter as well.
 
Each two page spread is packed with information and at first glance could be a little overwhelming. I felt that in some ways the author expected kids to already have a Bible background even though this book is supposed to be helping give them that Bible background.
 
I have a two and a half year old and I was hoping that I could read this with her for our nightly devotion time, but that will have to wait until she is much older. For now, she may enjoy looking at the pictures and finding the images but much of the other content is for an older child.
 
Another thing that kind of disappointed me was that explaining how to become a Christian wasn't really even touched on until you got to the letter "J". At first I thought this book was going to completely skip over the part about Jesus dying on the cross for our sins. If we don't know we are sinners and we don't think we've really done anything wrong then that takes away the whole reason why we need a Savior. Fortunately, later letters did explain this a little better.
 
Overall, I find this book an interesting concept. I'm not sure that I would go out and buy it myself, but I can see it being helpful to others. If you were not raised in a Christian home and are a new Christian yourself, then I can see how this book would be beneficial to have on hand to teach your kids as it does give a lot of the basics. If you are looking for a Bible story book, this isn't one at all.
 
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from The BookCrash program. I was under no obligation to give a positive review. All the opinions in this review are my own. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment